My mom sent me the Honey Cookie recipe (for the cookies that last practically forever) so if anyone wants to try them, I’d love to know how they turn out for you and if you like them. I feel like I should tell you that they’re pretty sweet cookies. I can usually only eat one at a time and I think they’d be good with hot tea or coffee rather than a cold glass of milk. I’ve also never made them, so I don’t know how labor intensive they are, but since I get them glazed and individually separated with pieces of wax paper they appear pretty complicated to me.
Aunty Ce’s Honey Cookies
1 c. honey
3/4 c. dark brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 TB lemon juice
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
2-1/3 c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. each allspice, ground cloves & nutmeg
1/2 tsp. each salt and baking soda
Glaze: 1 c. powdered sugar and 5 TB water
1. Heat honey in small pan over medium high heat just until it begins to bubble. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
2. Stir in sugar, egg, lemon juice and peel until blended. Set aside to cool to lukewarm.
3. Add honey mixture to dry ingredients. Cover & refrigerate overnight.
4. Work with 1/4 of the dough at a time. Keep remaining dough covered & chilled. On heavily-floured board, roll out dough with floured rolling pin to 3/8″ thickness. Cut dough into 2-1/2″ rounds and place on lightly greased parchment paper.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 min. or till golden brown.
6. Remove and immediately spread glaze over top. When dried, glaze bottom.
7. Place cut pieces of waxed paper over top and bottom of each cookie.