Does anyone remember that Dr. Seuss book? And how it somehow became The Book to give to high school graduating seniors? Did anyone actually read the book? Because I have not.
But, I do like lists! I like seeing what I’ve done or what is left to do and the satisfaction of crossing things off the list. And so, as we go from 2008 to 2009, the year where I turn 30 and the world magically turns me into their Queen (it’s a nice dream, I think), here is a list (pilfered – or maybe just borrowed – from Jenny).
Things I have done are in bold. Things I have not done are, you know, not in bold.
1. Started your own blog – well, you’re here, aren’t you?
2. Slept under the stars – years ago, when my parents still had their motorhome, we slept on a mattress outside the RV (I don’t know why we weren’t inside the RV with the generator and real bed). And it was windy and freezing.
3. Played in a band – marching band counts, yes? I played the trumpet. Yay, spit valves!
4. Visited Hawaii – ha ha ha… I’ve been there so often it’s really not funny.
5. Watched a meteor shower – I have no funny anecdote, I just know that it’s happened.
6. Given more than you can afford to charity – what does this mean? That you gave money to charity but then couldn’t pay your electric bill? Maybe I’m just lucky that I can afford to give to charity.
7. Been to Disneyland
8. Climbed a mountain – and lived to tell about it, even if it was a fairly small mountain.
9. Held a praying mantis – don’t those things bite?
10. Sang a solo
11. Bungee jumped – ha ha ha – No. I’m not crazy.
12. Visited Paris – I’m guessing the Paris airport doesn’t count?
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch
15. Adopted a child
16. Had food poisoning – sadly, yes.
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty – it is such a long walk.
18. Grown your own vegetables – even in the face of evil, which looks strangely like a gopher.
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
20. Slept on an overnight train – and then got stuck on said train as it started heading out to Glasgow. Fun times!
21. Had a pillow fight
22. Hitch hiked – no, and I’ve watched enough horror movies to know you don’t ever pick up a hitch hiker.
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill – I call them “mental health days”
24. Built a snow fort – so long ago, visiting my mom’s friends in Colorado.
25. Held a lamb – very cuddly and cute. Sadly, they are also tasty. Sorry!
26. Gone skinny dipping – I’m sorry, I’m not allowed to tell you when or where.
27. Walked a Marathon – nope, 10k is all I’ll go, but at least I ran that.
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice – yes, although our gondolier didn’t sing.
29. Seen a total eclipse – yup, using a cardboard box
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset
31. Hit a home run – yeah, but it wasn’t on an official-sized field or anything
32. Been on a cruise – Carribean, Mexico, and Alaska. And I still love cruising.
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors – I’ve been to Japan, but not Korea. I say that counts.
35. Seen an Amish community – and purchased quilted goods from them.
36. Taught yourself a new language
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied – it is a very nice feeling.
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person – it’s leaning so much it needs support, but it’s still cool.
39. Gone rock climbing – climbed rocks and got myself down in one piece!
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David
41. Sung karaoke
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
44. Visited Africa
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight – who hasn’t?
46. Been transported in an ambulance
47. Had your portrait painted
48. Gone deep sea fishing – and reeled in some big tuna all by myself, too.
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling – you bite me, I will hunt you down to the depths of the sea, or as far as I can go holding my breath while snorkeling.
52. Kissed in the rain
53. Played in the mud
54. Gone to a drive-in theater
55. Been in a movie
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies – but I’ve purchased plenty.
62. Gone whale watching
63. Got flowers for no reason – every body should get flowers for no reason at least once.
64. Donated blood, platelets, or plasma – I can’t; my veins squeeze shut after 2 vials are taken.
65. Gone sky diving – indoor sky diving! All the fun, none of the crash-and-die terror!
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp
67. Bounced a check
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten Caviar – it’s actually good, unless you’re eating the cheap stuff.
72. Pieced a quilt – if Jenny’s two squares count, then my two do, too.
73. Stood in Times Square
74. Toured the Everglades
75. Been fired from a job
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London – good grief, what a long process!
77. Broken a bone
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle – I have not sped on my motorcycle. I know someone who has and I’ve been on the back of his.
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
80. Published a book
81. Visited the Vatican – all my sins were wiped clean when I walked through the Holy Door! Too bad it doesn’t count the ones I’ve incurred since…
82. Bought a brand new used car – no, because I am Spoiled.
83. Walked in Jerusalem.
84. Had your picture in the newspaper
85. Read the entire Bible – I went to a private Christian school and we read the Bible in class. Just the Old Testament, though.
86. Visited the White House – putting up red ropes just makes those areas more enticing.
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating – fish counts, right?
88. Had chickenpox
89. Saved someone’s life
90. Sat on a jury – I was two alternate jurors away from potentially sitting on a jury.
91. Met someone famous – I sat on Mickey Rooney’s lap when I was a baby.
92. Joined a book club
93. Lost a loved one – or two, or three
94. Had a baby
95. Seen the Alamo in person
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a law suit
98. Owned a cell phone
99. Been stung by a bee
100. Read an entire book in one day – I just did this last week
101. Seen a ghost
That’s 60… not too shabby, I think. I would like to see the Great Wall of China, and perhaps see the Everglades. I’ll be happy if I never break a bone or see the inside of an ambulance. I’m not really sure how I feel about seeing a ghost. I might get a little freaked out.