I’ve been getting quite a few e-mail pitches about events and things popping up (some almost literally!) in town. Not all of them need a full post, but here are some I thought were worth passing along:
Smashburger is gearing up for race season with a Pop-up Smashdog Stand to feed hungry race-goers. Starting at 10 am on Wednesday, July 20, the Smashburger Del Mar patio (1555 Camino Del Mar) will be serving up grab-and-go Smashdogs, in addition to the regular menu. Smashburger will be the most convenient noshing destination before and after the races with validated parking, no reservations required and meals at only five bucks. The restaurant will be open for business as usual, but is introducing the Pop-Up Smashdog Stand for those who want to grab a meal on the go without skipping a step.
· $5 for 1 Smashdog with water or soda – Condiments and Beefy Chili will be available on the side for no additional cost
· $4 for 1 Smashdog only – Condiments and Beefy Chili will be available on the side for no additional cost
· $2 for water or soda only
Sprinkles is (has/will be) rolling out some new summer flavors. I have yet to visit the Sprinkles here in San Diego, mainly because rumors of long lines and waits for cupcakes. I don’t like trolling through parking lots looking for a space, or waiting in crowds for food (there are some exceptions). Once someone tells me the experience is like going up to any bakery, then I might consider the drive to La Jolla for some fancy cupcakes.
· Key Lime (May 3—Sept. 5) Zing! You’ve never tasted key limes like this before. Sprinkles celebrates their unique, tart flavor all summer long with our key lime cupcake. Made with the tangy juice and zest of fresh key limes in both the cake and frosting, you can savor a taste of the Keys without the trip!
· Summer Cherry (July 15- July 31) Cherry season is sweet but fleeting! Sprinkles celebrates this year’s crop with its Summer Cherry cupcakes. Made with loads of sweet, pureed cherries in both the cake and frosting, catch this flavor while you can!
· Raspberry (Aug 5-21) At last, summer’s abundance of ripe, juicy raspberries is here! Sprinkles celebrates this favorite berry with our limited edition raspberry cupcake. Sweet raspberry cake topped with luscious raspberry frosting. These gorgeous pink cupcakes are the perfect topper to any summer picnic or pool party.
· Vanilla Hazlenut Chocolate (Aug 26- Sept. 11) Your Italian summer abroad was spent discovering the wonders of… Nutella spread on everything! Now Sprinkles makes this classic flavor ALL-American with its Vanilla Hazelnut Chocolate cupcakes. Madagascar Bourbon vanilla cake topped with rich, creamy hazelnut chocolate frosting. You’ll be singing La Dolce Vita all the way home!
· Almond Dark Chocolate (Sept. 16-Oct 2) Your Italian summer abroad was spent discovering the wonders of… Nutella spread on everything! Now Sprinkles makes this classic flavor ALL-American with its Vanilla Hazelnut Chocolate cupcakes. Madagascar Bourbon vanilla cake topped with rich, creamy hazelnut chocolate frosting. You’ll be singing La Dolce Vita all the way home!
Fleming’s is offering their Sunday Prime Rib dinner at a reduced price! You get an amazing 3-course dinner with huge portions and the prime rib is fantastic. While they always have the Prime Rib Dinner on Sundays, the $30 price is only through July and August, so don’t wait too long!
WHEN: Sundays in July and August 2011 (July 3, 10, 17, 24 and 31; August 7, 14, 21, and 28)
COST: $29.95 per guest, excluding tax and gratuity
WHERE: Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar
La Jolla location at 8970 University Center Lane, 858-535-0078
Downtown San Diego location at 380 K Street, 619-237-1155
MENU: The Sunday Prime Rib Dinner is a 3-course meal featuring:
· 12 ounces of succulent Prime Rib, served with a trio of sauces
· Choice of The Wedge, Fleming’s or Caesar salads
· Choice of one side dish
· Choice of dessert
Fleming’s also has a new summer, swimsuit-friendly cocktail on the menu:
July’s Skinny Cocktail is the “Skinny Sexy Sailor,” which starts with Sailor Jerry Rum as a base, and includes black pekoe iced tea, Monin sugar-free syrup, fresh lemon juice and a touch of soda. It’s a fresh take on the tea-and-lemon combination of an Arnold Palmer.
Blueprint Café has a new happy hour Wednesday through Friday between 3 and 7 pm. Deals on select wines and $2 beer specials are offered daily. Savory small plate specials are just $5 to $8 and change every day based on fresh, local availabilities. Selections have included Crab Cakes with Southwestern Aioli; Pork Belly Buns; Stuffed, baked apricots with Manchego Cheese; lamb skewers served with Tzatziki dipping sauce; hand-made Fresh Mozzarella, Basil Pizza; Fresh Seafood Skewers and Saucisson En Croute. [ed. note: I’ve never been to Blueprint… have you? I’m always intrigued by pork belly buns, too, although no one has gotten close to Momofuku’s.]
I’m not being compensated in any way for these (and, as you can see, I haven’t even been to Sprinkles or Blueprint Café!) but since I like knowing what’s going on in town, I thought maybe you would, too!